Friday, September 5, 2014

Pitch Imperfect


By Rachel Allen, LifeTeen.com

Last week, as soon as Mass ended, the sweet little old lady sitting in front of me loudly announced to anyone within earshot that I (apparently) sing off-key. Totally shocked, I responded, “Well, I guess that’s why I’m out here, and not back there in the choir loft.” Listen, lady, I never promised you perfection from the pew behind you.

But I’d be lying if I said her comment didn’t sting, just a little. After all, I was always taught to do my best, in everything I attempted: in school, clubs, sports, relationships, even faith – and I’ll include singing at Mass on the list.

Then suddenly, somewhere along the line, it seemed like “doing my best” wasn’t good enough unless my best resulted in perfection. It must have started around the first day of high school, when they told me that colleges would be looking at my every move. They’d check my grades, extracurriculars, service work, and leadership – every step of the way.

And then… then came Pinterest. And Twitter and Facebook and Instagram, etc. Suddenly, the Internet was covered in pictures from my peers who were doing everything I’m doing… but better. I don’t even have a Pinterest account, but I’ve still felt the pressure to be the 4.0 valedictorian student athlete slash class president whose hair is always combed and whose car is always clean.

Be Ye Perfect

It’s something I still wrestle with, now. And it even affects my relationship with God. Because, as if all that wasn’t enough, Jesus said that He was setting the bar there, too: “So be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect” (Matthew 5:48).

Go to Mass on Sundays (and weekdays, too). Definitely pray every day. Confess on a regular basis (did you know there are saints who went to Confession every.single.day?) and throw in at least one Rosary a week. Did you meditate 20 minutes on today’s Gospel? What do you mean, you’ve never heard of the Divine Mercy Chaplet?! There’s a saint of the day, too – memorize that biography! And give some money to the Church and/or to charities, plus spend some time serving in your community.

And THEN, if you’re good enough – only then, if you check off the things on His list – God will give you the things on your list, too.

To continue reading, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment