Saturday, January 2, 2016

A Horrible Idea

This is a blog post by a teen I knew as her youth minister in Seattle, current friend, and fellow fighter. It's raw, it's got a couple cuss words, and it approaches a difficult topic in a way you may not have heard before. Read on if you can relate.

If radical honesty isn’t your cup of tea, I won’t blame you for ignoring what I’m about to say.

In fact, this could all be a horrible idea, but I’m gonna say something, because most women aren’t saying anything (and I’m Italian, so vulnerability and speaking my mind are strong suits).

Here’s the story:

Imagine an 11-year-old girl, curious about the world, home alone with a computer. Have you ever gone to look something up, typed ONE wrong letter in the web address, and ended up seeing a lot “more” than you planned? Most people rapidly close the window and try again. Some people stop and look… especially curious 11-year-olds.

Then I looked again. And again.

Browser history –> DELETE

Give me a few weeks, and I had developed a meticulous ritual of moving the Ethernet cable from our newer desktop computer to the ancient one we never used (but still had sitting out), booting it up, looking at pictures I didn’t understand (yet desperately pined to see), carefully deleting the browser history, powering down, and moving the Ethernet cable back into place. All this because somehow I knew it wouldn’t be kosher with the parentals.


This went on for years – no hyperbole. We’re talking 365 x 4 (at least). I only got caught once, and even then, mia famiglia didn’t realize the half of it. I managed to talk my way out pretty easily (what can I say – Italians are manipulative, too).

If somehow you haven’t gathered the gist of what I’m getting at, it’s this big ugly word that makes people feel uncomfortable.


Click here to continue reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment